- Beirut Explosion on August 4, 2020
- LLA establishes a Disaster Relief Committee with Randa Al Chidiac as the focal contact.
- The preliminary report is drafted for Blue Shield Lebanon: Cultural Heritage Damage Assessment
- A meeting is held with Blue Shield International represented by President Karl Von Habsburg, who announces that Blue Shield’s mission is the first response to disasters, and accordingly, it begins working to close shattered doors and windows with raw materials such as plastic and nylon.
- President Karl visits Beirut for two days, during which he inspects some of the affected areas: the American University of Beirut (museum and library), and the libraries of the St. Joseph University, the Meem Museum, and the Sursock Museum.
- LLA distributes a survey to Lebanese libraries and archive centers to gather data on the damages and current situation: Preliminary Survey Results.
- IFLA holds a meeting for Supporting Memory Institutions in Beirut Recovery Friday, 14 August 2020.
- Blue Shield Lebanon announces its activities: A team of 25 volunteers, architects, and recent graduates of archaeology will work on the ground visiting sites to draft the final structural damage report.
- IFLA President Christine Mackenzie and General Secretary Gerald Leitner express IFLA’s support for Lebanese libraries.
- Intensive international contacts take place between LLA and both Arab and international institutions to support and cooperate with Lebanese libraries and archive centers.
- LLA donates a symbolic amount to 3 institutions: Assabil Foundation (public libraries), the Lebanese Red Cross (as part of LLA outreach); and Offre Joie (for their past work on the archives of the Lebanese Court of Cassation [محكمة التمييز]).
- Blue Shield Lebanon and Blue Shield International complete Structural Damage Reports for 17 libraries and archive centers.
- Qatar National Library, Œuvre d’Orient- France, Prince Claus Foundation, QNL IFLA Preservation and Conservation Centres (PACs), and ALIPH Foundations offer technical and financial support to Lebanese libraries and archive centers.
- On 28 October 2020, Blue Shield International and Blue Shield Lebanon organized a Closing Ceremony to thank the volunteering bodies: Lebanese Armed Forces, UNIFIL, and the 40 young men and women who assisted in Beirut Safeguarding Heritage Operation:
- And the work goes on ….
Social Sciences Library, St. Joseph University of Beirut – Academic
Founding year: 1913
Human Sciences Library, St. Joseph University of Beirut – Academic
Founding year: 1977
Jafet Memorial Library, American University of Beirut – Academic
Founding year: 1867
Library of the Campus of Sports and Innovation, St. Joseph University of Beirut – School
Founding year: 2012
Institut des Finances Basil Fuleihan Library – Specialized
Founding year: 1997